Sunday, February 7, 2010

An Unfinished Project

I had high hopes for getting so many things sewn this weekend, but it's 11 p.m. on Sunday night, and I have very little to show. Weekends are never long enough!!



On Weekend Eve (Thursday night) while watching Project Runway, I tried to organize my fabric stash. This is a challenge, and while I'm mostly happy with the results, my sewing space still needs some organizational TLC.



Before






After





The boxes are from Ikea, and while they are childish and a little silly and probably not first choice, they were the perfect size for my bookshelf. Also, I know I should have refolded all of the fabric, but that was going to take too.



So far I have six boxes of fabric, but I still need a couple more. Would you believe me if I said I still feel like I need more fabric?? I have a box for all my Anna Maria Horner fabric, a box for my bright and bold flower prints, a box for novelty prints, and this is all I can remember off the top of my head, and I'm too tired to take 15 steps back to my laundry room/sewing space to remind myself of what's in the other boxes.




Then tonight I needed to make a present for a friend, so I chose to make a Taxi Tote out of Anna Maria Horner's Seams to Me book. An excellent book I might add.








The bag will end up looking like this one. Well, different fabrics, but same pattern.





But I got to one of the very last steps, and realized that I don't have enough red thread to sew on my red bias tape. I'm sure I could have just used white thread, but I couldn't bring myself to do that. It wouldn't look as pretty. So, tomorrow I'll be off to JoAnn's, so I can finish the bag!




Not the most exciting post, but life is busy and there are only so many hours in the night unfortunately!!!

4 comments:

Annee said...

I need to organize my fabric so badly. I just haven't been able to decide how to group it. I like your groupings. Also, your latest taxi tote is going to be lovely! Sorry about the red thread.

Kevin and Kristina said...

Looks beautiful! Any suggestions of something to make for a 9 yr old little girl?

She just got this little video camera for Christmas, so I thought I could make something to hold it? http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/OCXfPDKnNQjYoenYon6keA?authkey=Gv1sRgCL3OmvPVo87rxgE&feat=embedwebsite

Any thoughts? Want to do something easy/quick.

Liz said...

Kristina, if you look on our sidebar you'll find "Tried and True Tutorials." Look for the "Ipod Cozy." I believe it would fit the flip camera, but you could very easily adjust the measurements if you needed to. This is a VERY easy project and a great tutorial to follow.

Annee said...

I would totally agree with Liz. We have a flip camera and several ipod cozies around here. It would definitely hold a flip camera, and would be a really great idea. I've also made the little tote bags for older girls (as pictured with the bow), which is also very simple.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...