Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Bow Shirt Tutorial



Bows seem to be all over the place these days.  You've seen all the cute bow bags made with Annee's wonderful Bow Bag Tutorial.  Annee and I have both made Bow Pillows.  And you can find bow on shirts, skirts, bags, headbands, etc. all over the place.

Two summers ago Annee and her kids flew from Korea to CA and stayed with me for a couple of days.  Even though Annee was completely jet lagged, we got the crazy idea of recreating this shirt



I got from Anthropologie several years ago.  I should have the picture to share of Annee and me in our matching shirts, but I fear the picture was taken on Annee's camera, and I'm not calling her at this hour!

Annee made a bow shirt for Jane back in the fall, and I decided over the weekend that Grace needed one too.

Then I thought maybe our readers would like to know how to make their own bow shirts.  They are so easy, and they are way cute on little girls.  I promise they can be chic on an adult too.  I can't fit in my bow shirt currently, so you'll have to use your imagination.

If you want to make a bow shirt, get ready.  Here we go!

You'll need the following:

-PDF PATTERN for the 4 BOW SHIRT PIECES - Okay, I'm trying to be tech savvy, but this isn't my best PDF.  I did a pattern for toddlers and adults.  However, in the scanning process the adult pattern got mixed up with the toddler pattern.  When you make your shirt, just make sure you get the 4 pieces that say *toddler* if you are making a shirt for a kid, or *adult* if your shirt is for an adult.

-shirt

-fabric - less than a fat quarter

-pinking shears (optional, but you'd really love these if you had them!)

-threads, pins, sewing machine, iron - the basics!

First cut out your four pieces with pinking shears.



Next you'll make your bow knot.  Fold it in half short sides together.  Right sides together.  Sew together with 1/2 inch seam allowance.



Then serger, zigzag stitch, pinking shears or press seam open.



Turn bow knot right side out.



Bow knot is done!

Now take the bow body and using your iron make some pleats.  Nothing too perfect.  Just a couple of creases.



Next squeeze the bow body through the bow knot.



Lay all the pieces out on your shirt.  This is rather critical especially if are making a shirt for an adult.  I don't think most ladies want a bow cross their chest.  I off center the bow closer to the right side of my shirts, and I overlap the sashes angling out the smaller one.


When I laid out my bow, I decided that I wanted something different for the bow knot, so I changed my fabric.  Sorry for the confusion!


Now I didn't use iron-on adhesive.  I don't really have a reason why I don't, so you can use it if you want, or you can use tons of pins.  They work just as well.



I start by pinning and then sewing the bow sashes.  I sew about a 1/4 inch from the sides.




Next I sew down the bow body.  Pins are your friends, so use them generously.



I sew around both sides of the bow body backstitching when I get to the bow knot.  The bow knot never gets sewn down to the shirt.




Once I've sewn the perimeter of both sides of the bow body, then I go back and sew two additional lines on both sides of the bow body.  I start on the outer edge of the bow body and sew toward the bow knot.  Backstitch both at ends.



Clip all your strings, and you are done!  It's that easy.  And your little one, or big one, will be so happy with their new shirt.



It's perfect for frolicking in the park



smelling flowers



and just being girly!



Come back tomorrow, and I'll show your the skirt that I made to go with Grace's bow shirt.  For now I'm off to bed.  A pregnant woman needs her sleep!!

4 comments:

Annee said...

What happened to debuting the bedazzler?! I was really looking forward to a product review :)

Love the shirt and the tutorial! I love bow shirts. Everyone big and smal should have one.

Danielle said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I love this and want to make one.
I wanted to say also that I love this blog. I've already made 4 skirt onesies and I just got the pattern for the school house tunic. All of your ideas are fabulous and they inspire me!

Sanchez Family said...

AAAAdorable! WOuldn't it be so cute on the bottom of a little baby 'tilly'!!

Liz said...

Thank you, Danielle! I'm excited for you that you bought the Schoolhouse Tunic. I love that pattern!

Maggie...I so need to come and see you!! I'll be emailing you soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...