I think it paid off. I used 2 lime green t-shirts. I cut 1/2 inch to 1 inch strips out of one of the shirts. I took each of those strips and did a basting stitch down the middle and then pulled the bobbin thread to ruffle them. (Sorry I have no pictures of my process!!)
I made circles out of my ruffled strips and pinned them to my shirt. Then I dropped the feed dogs on my sewing machine, switched my presser foot to my embroidery foot and used a free motion quilting stitch to get the ruffled strips to stay put.
Knit is really frail, so I had to go slow. I definitely need work with my knit sewing skills, but tonight was a great start. I'll definitely be searching the Old Navy sales table for more $3 t-shirts!!
Here's a sneak peek of what it looks like one. The problem with sewing at night is that one one is up to take a picture of you!!
I also made a little tote bag for Grace tonight. She liked the skirt I made her last night, but she was "feeling just a little bit sad" that she didn't get a new bag like George got. In order to make her dreams come true, I sacrificed a little sleep. I'm sure it will be well worth it in the morning!!!