I've had this idea for a mini-Maxi dress in my mind ever since Ruby tried one on at Justice a few weeks ago. I hate the store Justice, and hope never to buy anything for my girls there. But just for fun on one of our trips, I let them each try on an outfit. Ruby tried on a leopard print maxi dress. I hated the dress, but I'll admit, I LOVED the fit of that dress. And that's when it occurred to me that I should make them Maxi dresses. I started day dreaming, and the dress finally got finished on Friday!!
Here it is. Keep in mind this is my rough draft/first version. I might need to make it a bit more roomy next time around? And for sure my rose has room for improvement. Anyway, this version is mostly my pattern pieces for making the next one. I hope I get to again, sooner than in three weeks!!
First step was making the top piece. I decided in order to add an element of design intrest I'd make it a racer back style dress. I had a few racer back tanks to use as rough pattern pieces, but I also got a lot of great info from Anna's tutorial over at Noodlehead's knit Monday series, where she showed how she recently made herself some racer back tank tops.
I just made the tank top in a cropped version, and then I added the next layer which was supposed to sort of be a high-waisted waist band. And then I started into my layers.
Each ruffle was 1.5 times the width of the layer it was being attached to.
The final ruffle hem is left officially un-hemmed. You've gotta love knit. However, I thought I could get away without serging inside either, and I will say that after only one wear, the seam that hits at Ruby's knees was splitting. Since it's a long dress, it's just too much pressure, right at that point where she does all of her kicking, bending, and skipping. So it's back out to the sewing garage for some reinforcement.
I totally love how it looks on Ruby. I love the racer back detail in the back. I think it looks so sporty/cute.
I hate my knit rose. I was totally rushing at that point since we needed to move on with our day. If I had it to do over again, I'd slow down and just do a better job. But I can't really take it off without making little holes in the top, so it's not worth it. I'll just get over it. I guess.
Because Ruby loves it and wore it all weekend long. And Jane is waiting rather impatiently for hers! Sewing on Friday accomplished exactly what I was hoping it would. Not only did Ruby get a new, one-of-a-kind dress, but I got to experience the one-of-a-kind joy that comes with creating something from nothing! Seriously, I'm going to sew again soon. Promise. Maybe.