Another Go-To Dress, but without the elastic empire waist.
I tried a new applique technique this time around. This is called a reverse applique. I found a helpful tutorial HERE.
This is what it looks like inside the dress:
So, you sew it to the dress on the inside, and then you cut the fabric away on the outside of the dress. It was fun to try something new.
Speaking of trying new things, I made a pair of leggings to go with the dress:
I thought the green waist band was a cute addition. I used the legging pattern from Lil Blue Boo, HERE.
The pattern was great. I was worried about sizing. I sewed the size 7/8. My girls are almost 6, but we're definitely on the tall side. As you can see, these leggings are none too big. And Ruby was complaining about the fit as the day wore on. I saw her a few times trying to pull them up. So I'm not entierly satisfied wtih them yet. But, I have a few ideas for improving the fit, and I'm sure I'm going to try to make them again. They came together so quickly, that before I added the ruffle at the bottom, I was about to say it was the best pattern in the world! Then I added the ruffle, and it kind of ruined the process for me. I'm not sure that the ruffle was worth it. I kind of hate the ruffle, but I'm trying to ignore that detail. Hard to do though, they're so ruffly, and in-your-face! Next time...(also, I kind of hate the green, also trying to ignore that. Anyway, it doesn't have to be anyone's favorite anything. It was just to get me warmed up and sewing again!)
So that's my big "come back" outfit. It works like a charm every time, whenever I worry that perhaps my sewing days have come and gone, I always seem to get inspired by my little ladies. Then suddenly I want to sew a whole closet full of clothes, all over again. I hope I'm back for a while.