Tuesday, October 9, 2012

KCWC Day 2

Day 2 is done, quite a bit earlier than yesterday, and I'm just as happy with my end results.

Before I show you my Day 2 project though, I had a photo shoot after school with my mini model.  






It's such a simple dress, but so lovely at the same time.  I love the simple details as well.  Like the knife pleats.  Who knew they'd be so smashing?!




Grace was a little hesitant at first that the dress is a wrap around style, and I most likely won't be sending her to school in this little number, but there is no worry for exposure.  There's plenty of overlapping in the back panels.





Overall, I'm so happy with the Paper Fan Dress. Thank you, Anna Maria Horner!  As always, I'm in love.

Now for today's rundown...



Pattern:  I was going to make a simple 3 tiered gather skirt.  Then I sadly realized that that fabric I'd selected was about a 1/4 to 1/2 yard too little to make all three tiers.  Sad.  However, I then remembered the cute color block skirt that Annee made for sister's wedding.  Adrianna of Crafterhours created the look first and then very kindly wrote out instructions for Annee to make her own.  I surfed my way around the web until I found Adrianna's post and detailed comment on how to make my very own color blocked skirt.  If you've sewn a skirt or two before, I bet you could figure it out with Adrianna's instructions.  The design is unique in that the skirt is gathered, but the waistband has a flat front.  There is an elastic back sew your little one can get in and out of it, but the flat front gives a more polished look.  Dare I say it looks a little more professionally sewn and maybe not handmade?!  Not that there's anything wrong with handmade!



Fabric:  It's from Aneela Hoey's Little Apples line.  I'm in love with the quaint details of the children playing.  I'll call this skirt the Ring Around the Rosie Skirt because of the little kids all holding hands.  The red fabric is from the same line as well.  I bought this fabric at Michael Levine's in LA.  There was so much fabric in that store, and I must have had my hand on 20 different bolts.  I loved this fabric, but I didn't know what I was going to make with it, so I only got 1/2 yd of each.  I totally should have gotten a yard of each.  Oh well.  Live and learn.



Sewing:  Friends, I was on fire today!  I had a ton of house work to do today, but I made a list like Santa does, got it all done, and put my head down and kept on sewing until I had a skirt AND as a bonus a coordinating shirt.  It was the perfect storm tonight.  It all came together sew well.

Tomorrow I've got 4 items on my TTS list.  Two leggings and appliqué two shirts.  Nothing too complex, but I'm toying with the idea of throwing in a pair of Sandbox Pants for George.  I think there are only like 10 steps in the pattern which is unheard of in most of the Oliver & S patterns.  I wonder what the catch is.  I'll let you know should I take on trying to sew them tomorrow.

Tootles for now!

1 comment:

crafterhours said...

that skirt is fantastic!!! I really love that fabric, but I didn't snatch any up when it was available, dang it. Perfect little outfit!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...