Saturday, March 20, 2010

Done well before Easter!



I am now in possession of the happiest girl you've ever met. And that, my friends, is the magic that comes along with the hobby of sewing.  The simplest thing, can make your little people so very, very happy.  She's been wanting a chef hat for a quite some time.  I've been looking at the tutorials online for quite some time too.  But then, last night it all came to a blow when she was heart broken that I wouldn't buy her a gazillion new Barbies.  I know, I'm so mean.  But through her tears, I told her, if she would stop crying about Barbies, I would put all other sewing projects aside, and finally make her her longed for hat.

The tears dried instantly.  Fabrics were selected and arranged.  I fell asleep on the couch before I could get to it, but this morning, I made it up to her by teaching her how to iron, and letting her stand by my side the whole time.



She picked out the props herself, and was more than happy to pose for this picture.  And don't you know, as soon as she showed her siblings her new hat, I had two more orders placed.  All this before 11am on a Sunday morning. 

Guess what, it's so easy to make a chef's hat.  And what a relief, seeing as I have more to make.  In the end I went with the tutorial by Joanna at Stardustshoes blog  (which incidentally also has a great tutorial for little baby cloth shoes. You should make those too, I've made them a handful of time.  Delightful each time!).  I followed the tutorial exactly.  My only complaint, I didn't like drafting my own cicle.  But I couldn't find anything in my house big enough to make a 20" circle.  But that's a minor annoyance.  Once everything was cut out, the whole thing was done in about 45 minutes.  Of course, I had a helper, so it might take you a bit longer :) 

I treasure these times in life when happiness is secured over the simplest things. 

1 comment:

Liz said...

LOVE the chef's hat!! Love it! This could make a really cute birthday gift for little friends.

Grace has been saying she'd like to be a chef. I bet she'd flip out for one of these. I'll add it to the ever growing list of things to sew...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...