Friday, April 8, 2011

I'm going to do it!

I went up to a new fabric store in Raleigh today, Wish Upon a Quilt.  It's been on my "to-do" list for months.  I took with me several pieces of fabric, never really knowing which project will emerge when you are in a fabric store.  I also took with me this inspiration picture that I've been carrying around for almost as long:


One day when I was unloading the dishwasher, I looked at the counter and saw that the bowls had randomly stacked in this order, and that I loved the color combo so much I took a picture.  I thought to myself it would make a beautiful quilt.

Then, I found a quilt pattern that I got really excited about.  Probably I got really excited about it because our local quilt shop had sewn up an actual sample and had it hanging in the store, and it was so very striking in person.  So I bought the pattern:


I've had two big pieces of inspiration that I tote along with me every time I go into a fabric store, just hoping that I'd get lucky, and find just the fabrics I needed.  Until today, it has alluded me.  But, when I walked into Wish Upon a Quilt, the friendly quilt staff was nothing but eager to help me bring my pieces of inspiration into quilt reality.  They started pulling fabrics left and right to help me sort through and find twelve that would work.

I think we did a pretty good job together, the three of us:



The blue is not quite as "blue", and the greens are a bit more subtle, but I am pleased as punch with my assortment.  I think it will do quite nicely.

Next up, one queen size quilt!  Yikes.  I've never made one that big before.

Oh yeah, on more thing I found on my way out of Wish Upon a Quilt today:


They had a charm pack of Sherbet Pips!  Of course I had to bring it home too.  Sadly it feels very wintery right now in the middle of April.  But maybe in July I'll be super excited about the cool colors and looking ahead to Christmasy sewing?!

Of course, first I will finish my color value quilt.  I have not forgotten my priorities.  That will be turned into a baby quilt to send off to another friend having a baby.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I can't wait to see how this turns out-and I love how you got inspiration from your dishes. The fabric combinations are great!

Liz said...

Love the inspiration colors, and I'd say you've matched them very well. Can't wait to see the queen size quilt, and I can't wait to see what you do with the Sherbet Pip!

And, can I say it is so fun to wake up to a new post on MOM!!

Sarah said...

Love the soft color combination. It's going to be beautiful!

Annee said...

Hi Melissa! Of course when it gets finished, I'll be so excited that I'll need to show someone in person!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...