Also, I had an idea with the Oliver & S Popover Dress that would involve a ruffle, but less ruffling than the whole hem of the dress. Let me try to show it to you a little better:
In my opinion it is just the touch of "something" that was needed. I contemplated whether the ruffle should have been in the contrast fabric as well. And it could have been, probably. But, I like a bit more subtly in my details, for now. The other two changes/additions I made were; I finished the little strapes. The little bows tied shut are cute, but I think it looks really nice finished as well. Plus, it takes less fabric cut on the bias. Rather than cutting the strap piece twice as long as it prints out, you get to cut it the length of the printed piece.
Finally, rather than a ruffle trim on the hem, I just did a contrast band. I added the band before I sewed the front and back pieces together. You could do it after as well, but I liked doing it one piece at a time.
Of course, the tiered skirt was a necessity:
I took the measurements from an existing skirt that we have and love.
Finally the onsie dress that I've been trying to figure out since before Liz was here!
It really seemed so clever to me to have a dress for your three month old that wouldn't find itself up around her arm pits as they are scrunched up in your arms. Trust me on that one if you've never had a three month old little girl in a dress.
But attaching that ruffled skirt piece to the intact onsie was way more tricky that I wish it was. It became necessary to either pick it all apart because of little pintucks that occurred, or to add the little belt band. The belt band was actually easier than ripping it apart! Maybe there should be more to it. Maybe the shirt should have something on it, or a bow or a flower. But sometimes, enough is enough. I'm calling this dress done. It gets bonus points for being so cleverly attached to the snap bottom!
Okay, now I only have six days left! Let's see what else I can finish before we leave...