Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Simple A-Line Dress

I saw this dress a while back.  (The first dress that is harvest yellow and white.)  I love the simplicity of the design.  Today I couldn't get the dress out of my mind.  I just kept thinking about it.  I knew it was a simple dress to make, but I didn't have an A-line pattern.  After some quick research online, I found this Simplicity pattern.  I loaded the children in the car and off we went to JoAnn's crossing our fingers they had it in stock.

They did!!  For $2.99 even!  You can't beat that!

While I love Katie's fabric choices for her dress, I don't own solid color fabric.  Not one single yard.  I mean I probably have some white muslin, but that is it.  So I chose two fabrics that I thought were complimentary and not too loud.


When cutting out the front of the dress, I moved the pattern which was to be placed on the fold about a 1/2 inch away from the fold.


Then I carefully trimmed the very edge of the front dress piece creating 2 pieces for the front of the dress instead of one.


I cut a strip of my blue coordinating fabric 4 1/2 inches wide and however long my dress is (sorry I didn't measure).


I then sewed both of the front dress pieces to the blue middle piece and did an inverted pleat at the top.

I followed the rest of the instructions that came with the pattern, and here's the finished product.



Now Grace has a new dress to wear on her second day of school.  She wore the Jump Rope Dress on the first day.  Should I try to make her a new outfit for every day of school???  Totally kidding.  I'm not that crazy!

5 comments:

Doug said...

Simply beautiful Liz! It is so fun to improvise on a pattern and have it actually work out!!-sarah

Annee said...

I totally missed this, because if you were posting this truly at 2am, then I was nearly getting out of bed for the first day of school! I'm totally inspired! I love it. LOVE IT!

Do you feel like adding a picture of the back? Is it a zipper? Something easier and better? Maybe it doesn't need anything and can just slip over the head? Can't wait to see it on Grace.

Ali said...

Love the inverted pleat! I bought the pattern and am now battling with hemming the sleeves using the bias tape as indicated in the pattern. Did you skip the bias tape and just hem the sleeves themselves?

Liz said...

I did use bias tape. It's not the easiest process, but it a good technique to learn. Instead of buying bias tape, I made my own to match the dress.

I just re-read the instructions in the pattern, and they are really vague. Here's a link to a tutorial on how to sew bias tape facing.

http://www.craftstylish.com/item/13143/how-to-sew-a-bias-tape-facing

Good luck, Ali!

Ali said...

Thank you for that link!! I've used bias tape for trimming garments, but not as a hem facing. I realize now that I have been having such a hard time because I was using double-fold bias tape. Whoops.

Thanks again, you saved me from having an "I hate this dress/patter" ceremonial bonfire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...